Monday, July 2, 2007

Registering for photography school

I’ve got this great camera that I bought before leaving for Nepal. I took some great pictures, but still I feel like I’m not getting as much out of it as I can. I’ve looked around a bit for books or online lessons, but the free stuff online tends to be very general and there are so many books its hard to know where to begin.

In my searches, I ran across BetterPhoto.com, an online resource for professional and amateur photographers with lots of free content, as well as online courses delivered by professional photographers. And rather than fool around ordering a book and having it sit on a shelf for weeks or months waiting for me to get to it, I thought I might try one of the online courses at BetterPhoto.com

I choose Gain Control of your Camera because it focuses on the basics, is only four weeks, which means it costs less than a more thorough eight-week class, and also allows me to finish literally just before leaving for the USA on July 31st.

Registration and payment took no more than five minutes. I got a welcome email with links to online forums where the class will “meet” to discuss the photos we have uploaded. It took about an hour to fill out the class survey (information for the instructor such as personal equipment, interests, and goals), and to write a short self-introduction. The photo here, taken with my Nepali niece this past March in Kathmandu, I posted as my class portrait.

The first lesson is due to arrive July 4th. Hopefully I'll have some interesting photos to post over the next few weeks.

Stay tuned.

#

1 comment: